giovedì 8 dicembre 2011

Eur J Clin Nutr. 1997 Jun;51(6):362-5.

Association of alcohol consumption with HDL subpopulations defined by apolipoprotein A-I and apolipoprotein A-II content.

Source

Institute of Internal Medicine and Medical Physiopathology IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, University of Milan, Italy.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To investigate the relationship between alcohol intake and serum level of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) subfractions defined on the basis of their apolipoprotein A-I and A-II content (LpA-I and LpA-I: A-II).

DESIGN:

Observational study.

SETTING:

Institute of Internal Medicine and Medical Physiopathology, IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, University of Milan.

SUBJECTS:

One hundred healthy males with a mean age of 42 +/- 11.1 y, selected among blood donors.

RESULTS:

Both LpA-I and LpA-I:A-II were significantly higher in men drinking more than 30 g a day of alcohol than in non-drinkers (LpA-I: difference between means 6.5 mg/dL, 95% C.I. 1.14-11.9; LpA-I:A-II difference between means 11.5 mg/dL, 95% C.I. 0.52-22.5). The association of alcohol consumption with LpA-I and LpA-I:A-II levels was independent from age, body mass index, physical activity, serum triglycerides and diet composition.

CONCLUSIONS:

Alcohol consumption is associated with an increase of serum levels of both LpA-I and LpA-I:A-II particles and this may, at least in part, explain the reduced cardiovascular morbidity observed in subjects drinking moderate amounts of alcoholic beverages.

SPONSORSHIP:

Supported by grants from Ricerca Corrente Ospedale Maggiore di Milano IRCCS, Milan Italy.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento